If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

I’ve been sexually assaulted — what do I do?

If you’ve been sexually assaulted or abused recently you can:

  • Tell a trusted adult — this could be a parent, a family friend, an aunt or uncle, a teacher, a school counsellor.
  • You could call a crisis service like the Kids Help Line: 1800 55 1800, or the Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1800 806 292 to talk about what to do next
  • Call Police on 000 to report the assault. In Victoria ask for the Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Unit or Sexual Crimes Squad
  • It's important that you have a medical check up. If the assault has been reported to the police, you can agree to forensic evidence being collected at this examination. Usually this is only done if the assault happened within the last 72 hours.


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top