If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

Meeting with a CASA counsellor

If you live in Victoria, Australia you can call two 24 hour services:

  1. Sexual Assault Crisis Line — phone 1800 806 292. If you call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line you will be able to speak with a Counsellor over the phone about what happened and how you are feeling. The Counsellor will tell you about medical, legal and counselling services and can they speak with these services on your behalf if this is what you want.
  2. Victorian Police — phone 000. Ask for the Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Unit or the Sexual Crimes Squad where you can report the assault.

Both the Sexual Assault Crisis Line and the police can arrange for you to meet face-to-face with a Counsellor from the nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault.

Face-to-face meeting with a CASA Counsellor

  • The meeting will be at a place called a Crisis Care Unit .
  • You can take a friend or relative with you.
  • The police may bring you to the Crisis Care Unit, or a taxi can be arranged.
  • The CASA Counsellor will provide information and support. If you have not reported the assault to the police, they can help with this if you wish.
  • You can have a medical check-up (to check for pregnancy, STI's) with a specially trained doctor at the CASA Crisis Care Unit. If you agree, forensic evidence may be collected during this examination — but only if a report has been made to police and usually only if the assault happened within the last 72 hours.
  • The Counsellor works separately from the police and the CCU doctors, so you can speak privately. If any of the professionals who are looking after you believe you are not safe, the Counsellor may have to talk to other professionals about things you have said.

If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top