If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

Seeing a doctor after you’ve been sexually assaulted

It’s important to see a doctor for a health check-up if you’ve been sexually assaulted. In Victoria the doctor may:

  • Look for any injuries you might have and treat them
  • Prescribe emergency contraception if there is any risk that you could become pregnant
  • Discuss the risk of sexually transmitted infections. Prescribe medication to prevent diseases such as HIV or Hepatitis B , and make a follow-up appointment for a test if needed.

You have several options for seeing a doctor. If you phone the Sexual Assault Crisis Line on 1800 806 292 to talk to a Counsellor , you can choose to see a doctor at a Crisis Care Unit.

If you’ve reported the assault to the police

If the police are involved, you can also choose to have a forensic medical examination . This would take place at a Crisis Care Unit. A specialist doctor would give you the health check-up and collect forensic evidence .

If you haven’t reported the assault

If you are under 18, you can see a doctor from the Victorian Forensic Paediatric Medical Service, without reporting the assault to the police. Call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line on 1800 806 292.

Seeing your GP or a sexual health service

If you decide not to see a doctor at the Crisis Care Unit it is really important for your health that you make an appointment with your GP or a sexual health service. For example the Melbourne Sexual Health Centre which have services for young people.

Consent from your parents

Your parents may need to give consent for a health check or forensic medical examination — depending on your age and the assessment of the medical staff looking after you.


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top