If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

What if my brother or sister has been assaulted?

If your brother or sister has been sexually assaulted or abused , there may be a few issues that you might have to deal with.

Is the offender someone outside your family?

If the offender is not someone in your family, you may need to deal with issues like:

  • How your brother or sister is coping
  • Worrying about how to help them
  • Seeing your parents upset.

Police or Child Protection might be involved and they might want to speak to you as well. Talk to them and answer their questions.

Is the offender someone in your family?

If the offender is someone in your family, you might need to deal with issues like:

  • Not being able to see family members you are close to
  • There might be changes in who you live with and where you live
  • You, or other people, might worry the offender might want to get back at the family because the sexual assault or abuse was found out.

Are you the only one who knows?

It is very hard for you if you are the only person who knows about the assault or abuse, or you saw it happen. Make sure you have someone to talk to:

  • It can be good to have a trusted adult to talk with — this could be a family friend, an aunt or uncle, a teacher, a school counsellor.
  • You could call the Kids Help Line: 1800 55 1800, or the Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1800 806 292.

This affects you too!

All of this can have a big impact on you. Your brother or sister is going through some hard times as they deal with what happened to them. But changes in the family can also affect you.


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top