If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

Why get a health check?

If you’ve been sexually assaulted or abused , it’s a good idea to have a medical check up to see if you have any injuries that need treatment. If you are a woman, it’s also important to check if you are pregnant. You may need to have emergency contraception to avoid pregnancy.
You may also need:

  • Medication to prevent diseases such as HIV or Hepatitis B .
  • A follow-up appointment to test for sexually transmitted infections.

If you don’t want to talk about a rape, you can say you had unprotected sex and that is why you need the tests done.

Sometimes people feel ashamed or embarrassed to talk to a doctor about these sorts of issues. There are specialist clinics that give free sexual health checks for young people:

  • Family Planning Victoria 1800 013 952.
  • The Melbourne Sexual Health Clinic 1800 032 017.

To arrange a medical checkup, you can also speak with:

Keeping it confidential

Mostly, the doctor won’t tell anyone else what you’ve said. But in some situations the doctor might need to:

  • Tell your parents.
  • Report what has happened to you to the police or child protection services.

This is called Mandatory Reporting. The law says that some professionals must make a report when a child or young person is at risk of being harmed.


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top