If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

I was abused in the past — what can I do?

Being sexually abused as a child can be a traumatic experience. An experience as difficult as childhood sexual abuse can cause changes in how a person feels, thinks or behaves. These changes can last for many years.

Many people feel shame, anger and sadness. Some people develop symptoms of depression, anxiety or post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

If you have been sexually abused as a child, it may be hard for you to trust other people and feel safe in relationships. This can make you feel very lonely.

Action you can take

Talking to a trained professional can be a first step in working out the issues you are facing, and starting to deal with them.

Some options are:

  • Call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1800 806 292 to talk to a Counsellor about your options. This is a 24 hour service.
  • Meet face-to-face with a Counsellor at a Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA). Call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line on 1800 806 292 to ask for this. The CASA web site has the more information about face-to-face counselling.
  • Talk to your GP and ask for a referral to a psychologist or social worker who is specially trained to work with people who have been sexually assaulted or abused.
  • Report the assault to the police.


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top