If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

What is: incest?

Incest, according to the law, is when a person takes part in an act of sexual penetration with a person whom he or she knows to be his or her child or other lineal descendant or his or her step-child.

This means that family members are not allowed to have sex with each other. Family members include your mother, father, grandparents, sisters, brothers, step-brothers, step-sisters, uncles and aunts. No matter your age or your family member’s’ age it is still incest. If you are less than 18 years old it is also considered incest if the person is your mother or father’s defacto spouse, meaning their partner who also lives with them. The family member could be older then you, younger then you or the same age.

The act of sexual penetration can include any part of the person’s body or an external object that has gone into a private part, including the mouth, vagina or anus.

YOU WILL NOT BE PUNISHED for a family members forcing you to have sex with them.

If a family member has:

  • Touched any of your privates with any part of their body or an object
  • Forced you to touch any of their privates
  • Shown you pornography or sexual images
  • Forced you to be naked or perform sexual acts in front of a camera
  • Forced you to do any of the above with another person including a family member
  • Made you feel unsafe

Then speak to someone because THIS IS NOT OK and against the law. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FEEL SAFE ALL THE TIME and NONE OF THIS IS YOUR FAULT. Families are meant to love you, support you and keep you safe. Families are not meant to make you feel bad for your feelings or thoughts, and they are not meant to make you feel uncomfortable, powerless or unsafe.

The best way to work these out and to feel safe again is to talk about it. If you do not have a trusted adult in your family who would do something to keep you safe no matter who it is about then find someone you trust outside of the family. A SECASA counsellor/advocate is always willing to speak with you but you can always speak to your Doctor, Psychologist, and Counsellor at your School. If it’s after hours or the weekend you can call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line for support (Phone: 1800806292).

You can also speak to speciality detectives in the Victoria Police called SOCIT Detectives. They can be reached by telephone, and can meet you at school, home, their office or anywhere that feels safe for you to talk.

If you want to speak with someone who can help make your family safe and get help for people in your family you can also speak with Child Protection Phone: 1300655795 for Southern Suburbs in Victoria AUSTRALIA). If it’s after hours or the weekend you can Child Protection too (Phone: 131278).


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top