Some tips for being safe when taking taxis:
- Don’t hail a taxi on the street. You don’t know who’s driving or if it’s a real taxi.
- Sit in the back.
- Don’t take a taxi alone if you are really drunk.
- If your friend is really drunk and takes a taxi, take notice of its details. You could take a photo of it with your phone, especially the license plate. Make a note in your phone of the driver’s registration details.
- Pay attention to where you are going. If you are supposed to be going to the city you shouldn’t be heading out to the suburbs.
- Check that the taxi ID number is visible. This should be on the left hand side in the front.
- Make sure you get a cab not a private car. Taxis have identifying information such as the name of the company and the phone number.