The start of a relationship usually feels exciting. Sometimes this good feeling stops us from seeing things that might be a problem. So it’s important to know what a good relationship looks and feels like.
A relationship is good when it’s with someone you like, trust and respect. Hopefully you’re not with them just because they’re hot! There’s more to it than that. And even if everyone else thinks the person you’re with is cool, if that person treats you badly then it’s not worth it.
Other things that make up a good relationship are:
- Equality and believing the other person’s needs are as important as your own
- Communication and being able to talk freely about issues without being afraid
- Having your own space and time, with no-one being too clingy or needy
- Emotional support, thinking about each other's feelings and being understanding
- Being honest about what is important to you in terms of commitment within the relationship
- Listening to each other.