If you have been sexually assaulted please contact your nearest Centre Against Sexual Assault. In Victoria, phone 1800 806 292. In the rest of Australia phone 1800 RESPECT

Doing drugs and alcohol

Using illicit drugs is against the law. So is drinking alcohol if you are under 18 years old except under special circumstances .

Some people who’ve been sexually assaulted or abused, use alcohol or drugs to help them cope or block out painful or uncomfortable feelings. Avoiding these feelings and thoughts doesn’t make them disappear. They need to be dealt with properly.

Using drugs and alcohol can stop you from dealing with the real issues you are facing and cause other problems at the same time.

If you use drugs and alcohol to help you cope, you might notice:

  • You can’t go out without drugs or alcohol
  • You use drugs or alcohol by yourself
  • You become obsessed with using drugs
  • You stop doing things you used to do, like going to school, going out and seeing people
  • You do things you wouldn’t usually do, like getting into arguments or fights, wanting to hurt yourself or breaking the law.

Talk to a trusted adult or a professional who can help you deal with the issues you are facing and work out positive ways to cope.


If you don't want to talk to the police you can report anonymously at Sexual Assault Report Anonymously

Return to top