can be traumatic
experiences. When people have been sexually assaulted or abused, they may have on-going psychological or emotional issues related to the trauma.
A small number of people can develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Signs to look out for are:
- Having nightmares
- Having flashbacks (reliving the assault)
- Thinking about the assault when you don’t want to
- Feeling on edge
- Feeling irritable
- Having trouble sleeping
- Not being able to concentrate
- Avoiding reminders of the assault
- Feeling emotionally numb and cut off from every day life.
Only a health professional can diagnose you with PTSD. It’s important to seek help if you are experiencing any of these signs ongoing.
Useful phone numbers
Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
Lifeline 13 11 14
Sexual Assault Crisis Line 1800 806 292